Last Updated: 03/27 12:30PM
NFL Free Agency is set to kick off at 12:00PM ET on March 13, 2023 via the opening of the legal tampering period. At that point in time, pending free agents can begin negotiations with other teams prior to the start of the new league year. Here at Cover 1 we will be tracking every move related to the Buffalo Bills and updating the below tracker as they roll in.
- [03/27 12:28PM] Safety Taylor Rapp has agreed to a 1-year deal with the Bills, per Adam Schefter. Rapp comes to Buffalo as a starting caliber at Safety who at worse is now one of the best reserve Safeties in the NFL. An interesting, and good, move by the Bills.
- [03/23 12:39PM] Guard David Edwards has signed with the Bills, per Jon Scott. Edwards has experience at both Guard positions and should compete for the Bills Swing Guard role, or possibly starting RG.
- [03/20 07:51PM] Running Back Damien Harris has agreed to a 1-year deal with the Bills, per Adam Schefter. Nagging injuries slowed down Harris in 2022 but when healthy, Harris was a dynamic weapon for the New England Patriots. Harris slots in as Buffalo’s RB2 with an upside of being RB1B.
- [03/20 11:51AM] Wide Receiver Trent Sherfield has agreed to a 1-year deal with the Bills, per Adam Schefter. A speedy wide receiver with good size, Sherfield brings plenty of YAC potential to the Bills as well as experience on Special Teams. Sherfield will likely be competing for a gameday active role as WR4 or WR5.
- [03/15 06:47PM] Quarterback Kyle Allen is signing with the Bills, per Ian Rapoport. Good friends with Josh Allen, Kyle Allen comes to the Bills as an experienced young Quarterback who, while inconsistent, has some high upside. According to Aaron Wilson, it’s a 1-year $1.232 million deal for the backup Quarterback.
- [03/15 09:51AM] Wide Receiver Deonte Harty has agreed to a 2-year deal with the Bills, per Adam Schefter. Harty, also known as Deonte Harris, comes to Buffalo as a possible answer at WR3 and as one of the more dangerous Punt Returners in the NFL. According to Field Yates, Harty’s contract has a maximum value of $13.5 million with $5 million guarantee.
- [03/13 01:56PM] Guard Connor McGovern has agreed to a 3-year deal with the Bills, per Mike Garafolo. McGovern played the last 4 years for the Cowboys and comes to Buffalo after starting 16 games for the Cowboys last season. McGovern joins Ryan Bates as your likely Day 1 starters at Guard. “I really like this pickup for the Bills.
- [02/17 04:02PM] Safety Zayne Anderson has agreed to a 2-year contract with the Bills, per Alaina Getzenberg. A speedy safety, Anderson will likely compete for a reserve and/or Spacial Teams role with the Bills for the 2023 season and beyond.
- [03/23 1:37PM] Tight End Tommy Sweeney is signing with the New York Giants, per Jordan Raanan. Sweeney has been a reserve Tight End for the Bills since he was selected in the 7th round in 2019. He is set to compete for a roster spot on a Gaints team that has talent to spare at the TE position.
- [03/23 12:46PM] Wide Receiver Jamison Crowder is signing with the New York Giants, per Josina Anderson. Crowder appeared in just 4 games for the Bils after breaking his ankle in Week 4 but potentially still has some gas left in the tank. He heads to the Giants as a possible slot option for Brian Daboll.
- [03/20 05:27PM] Running Back Devin Singletary is signing with the Houston Texans, per Ian Rapoport. Singletary has been the Bills RB1 for the past 4 seasons accounting for 4122 Total Yards and 20 Total Touchdowns over that span.
- [03/20 02:49PM] Safety Jaquan Johnson is signing a 1-year contract with the Las Vegas Raiders, per Adam Schefter. Johnson has been with the Bills since 2019 as a Safety reserve and more prominantly a Special Teams Specialist.
- [03/17 12:00PM] Wide Receiver Isaiah McKenzie has been released by the Bills, per Adam Schefter. A fan favorite, McKenzie’s role became redundant after the addition of Deonte harty, thus his release. According to his agents, McKenzie has agreed to terms with the Indianapolis Colts.
- [03/13 03:58PM] Linebacker Tremaine Edmunds is signing with the Bears, per Ian Rapoport. Drafted by the Bills 16th overall in 2017, Edmunds has been the playcaller on the Bills since and racked up 100+ tackles in each of his first 5 season. The loss of Edmunds leaves a massive void in the middle of the Bills Defense.
- [03/13 02:04PM] Quarterback Case Keenum is signing with the Texans, per Aaron Wilson. The Bills backup quarterback leaves Buffalo after one season leaving a hole behind Josh Allen the Bills will need to fill. Ian Rapoport reported that the deal is for $6.25 million with $4 million guaranteed.
Re-Signings / Restructures
- [03/21 01:51PM] Offensive Lineman David Quessenberry is returning to the Bills, per Mike Garafolo. Quessenberry returns for his second season in Buffalo as a swing option capable of playing both Tackle and Guard positions.
- [03/17 02:46PM] Cornerback Dane Jackson is returning to the Bills on a 1-year deal, per Sal Capaccio. Dane received an RFA Tender prior to Fre Agency and now gets a contract with the Bills. Great depth in Buffalo, Jackson now gives the Bills a depth piece that has proven capable of playing big minutes in the NFL.
- [03/15 12:51PM] Safety Jordan Poyer is returning to the Bills, per Ian Rapoport. A leader on the Bills defense who was thought to be done with the Bills returns to Buffalo in a MASSIVE move for a team that expects to contend for a Super Bowl. According to Ryan O’Halloran, it’s a 2-year $12.5 million deal.
- [03/14 08:52PM] Wide Receiver Stefon Diggs has had his contract restructured freeing up $5.4 million in cap space, per Field Yates. The deal frees up additional cap space for the Buffalo Bills and increases the star Wide Receiver’s cap hit in subsequent years.
- [03/14 07:01PM] Cornerback Dane Jackson is expected to be tendered by the Bills, per Jeremy Fowler. The 239th overall pick in the 2020 draft, Jackson has improved each season with the Bills and at a minimum becomes the Bills top reserve cornerback in 2023.
- [03/14 12:45PM] Linebacker Tyrel Dodson is returning to the Bills on a 1-year deal, per Katherine Fitzgerald. Dodson slots in as a possible replacement at Middle Linebacker for the Bills after the departure of Tremaine Edmunds. Familiarity with the scheme and success in a reserve role makes Dodson a solid addition for the Bills.
- [03/13 09:08PM] Quarterback Josh Allen and Linebacker Von Miller have had their contracts restructrued freeing up around $32 million in cap space, per Field Yates. This provides the Bills more flexibility during the offseason and moves some of the cap hit for both Allen and Miller to later years.
- [03/13 04:05PM] Cornerback Cam Lewis is returning to the Bills on a 1-year deal, per Alaina Getzenberg. The versatile defensive back will battle for a depth position in the Bills secondary.
- [03/13 10:35 AM] Linebacker Tyler Matakevich, a Special Teams ace, signed a 2-year deal that voids to a 1-year deal, per Ian Rapoport. A captain in 2022, Matakevich remains one of the key cogs for Special Teams Coordinator Matthew Smiley.
- [03/13 10:30 AM] Punter Sam Martin signed a 3-year deal worth up to $7.5 million, per Mike Garafolo. Aaron Wilson reported the salary details which includes a 2023 Cap Hit of about $1.6 million.
- [03/13 09:12 AM] Running Back Nyheim Hines is reworking his deal, per Mike Garafolo. The reworked deal will lower Hines’ cap hit making it more palatable for the Bills to retain the 6th year back. This means Buffalo has solidified their returner while also having a RB2/3 with a high upside as a pass catcher. Per Alaina Getzenberg, the cap savings is $1.3 million.
- [03/12 12:50 PM] Linebacker Matt Milano has agreed to a 2-year contract extension with the Bills, per Adam Schefter. The All-Pro linebacker is now under contract with Buffalo through 2026. The next domino related to Milano being secured is if LB Tremaine Edmunds returns. If not, could we see a move to middle linebacker for Milano, then second-year linebackers Terrel Bernard, Baylon Spector or a draft pick could be in play to replace Milano at Sam/Will.
Key Tentative Losses
- Taiwan Jones, ST – UFA
- Rodger Saffold, LG – UFA
- Shaq Lawson, DE – UFA
- Jordan Phillips, DT – UFA
Dane Jackson, CB – RFA (Tendered) Tremaine Edmunds, LB – UFA Sam Martin, P – UFA Case Keenum, QB – UFA Devin Singletary, RB – UFA Jaquan Johnson, S – UFA Jordan Poyer, S – UFA Tyler Matakevich, ST – UFA Tommy Sweeney, TE – UFA Jamison Crowder, WR – UFA